What is a Test Case?
A test case is a set of conditions for evaluating a particular feature of a software product to determine its compliance with the business requirements. A test case has pre-requisites, input values and expected results in a documented form which cover the different test scenarios.
Test Case Attributes
- TestCaseId - A unique identifier of the test case.
- Test Summary - One-liner summary of the test case.
- Description - Detailed description of the test case.
- Prerequisite or pre-condition - A set of prerequisites that must be followed before executing the test steps.
- Test Steps - Detailed steps for performing the test case.
- Expected result - The expected result in order to pass the test.
- Actual result - The actual result after executing the test steps.
- Test Result - Pass/Fail status of the test execution.
- Automation Status - Identifier of automation - whether the application is automated or not.
- Date - The test execution date.
- Executed by - Name of the person executing the test case.
For a detailed Test case template in downloadable Xls format, check our tutorial - Test Case Template (Xls).
Test Case Examples
Here, we have compiled test cases for some of the most common software applications like Whatsapp, Google, Youtube along with real-world objects like Pen, Pencil, ATM machine etc.