In the market full of open source automation tools like Selenium, Watir, Sikuli and licensed tools like HP UFT, SOAPUI Pro, TestComplete; a relatively new tool is slowly gaining popularity because of its ease of use and robustness – Katalon Studio.
What is Katalon Studio?
Katalon Studio is a free test automation tool for automating websites, mobile applications and web services. It has record & playback and manual mode that help non-programmers to effectively create automation test cases. For users with progarmming expertise, it has script mode as well using which users can write test scripts in Groovy.
Features of Katalon Studio
- It can be used to automate, web applications, mobile applications as well as web services.
- It is free tool by KMS technology (free but not open source).
- It provides record and play back capability.
- It can be integrated with Git, Jenkins, qTest and Jira.
- It provides in-built templates for maintaining the object repository, test cases and custom keywords.
- It supports Java and Groovy language.
Advantages of Katalon Studio
- Its setup and installation is very simple, you just need to download the respective package based on your OS from Katalon Studio Official website, extract it and then activate it using your credentials.
- Katalon caters to the need of non-programmers by providing record & playback feature and scripting in manual mode for test case creation. Along with that it has a relatively simpler learning curve which helps manual tester to easily create automation tests.
- For those who have good programming expertise, Katalon provides test case creation in scripting mode also.
- The in-built templates, frameworks, integration to Jira, Git, Jenkins etc features help in speeding up the test case creation time. User only has to focus on automation of the test scripts.
- The script recorded in one browser can be made to run in any of the supported browsers, making cross browser testing fast and easy.
- Its test result reports are graphically intutive and can be exported to pdf and CSV formats.
- It provides inherent logging mechanism and screenshot on failure feature.
Disadvantages or limitation of Katalon Studio
- Unlike tools like Selenium the script creation is limited to Java and Groovy only.
- As of now there is no support for distributed testing.
- It cannot automate desktop applications unlike some licensed tools like UFT and TestComplete.
Kuldeep is the founder and lead author of ArtOfTesting. He is skilled in test automation, performance testing, big data, and CI-CD. He brings his decade of experience to his current role where he is dedicated to educating the QA professionals. You can connect with him on LinkedIn.