Majority of web applications have large user base and they continuously thrive to increase their user count. These applications provide simultaneous access to large number of users to perform different operations. In such cases, it is required to measure the performance of the application, to see how well the application behaves in high concurrent load situation.
Most of the e-commerce, online gaming and social networking websites have more or less similar functionality but one get ahead of other on the basis of their performance. So, performance is a vital aspect of an application and to foresee, how well the application will behave in large concurrent load is the responsibility of Performance Tester.
What is Performance Testing?
Performance testing is a type of non-functional testing in which the performance of the application is evaluated under expected or higher load. During performance testing, we evaluate different performance attributes of the system like - response time(speed), reliability, resource usage, scalability etc.
Benefits - Why do we need Performance Testing?
Performance testing is required because of the following reasons-
- Provides a measure of the speed of the system-
These tests helps in bench-marking the parameters like response time which are the measure of application's speed, which we all know is super critical to the success of an application.
- Helps in evaluating scalability of the application-
Performance tests helps in checking if the application is capable of scaling up a higher number of users.
- Helps in checking robustness of the application-
With stress testing, we can check the robustness of the application at workload higher then expected or above the application's threshold.
- Helps in checking the reliability of the application-
Difference types of performance tests are conducted to check if application is reliable and provides correct and consistent output. Performance tests like - load test and endurance test help in evaluating the system correctness under expected workload for predefined time(load test) or for large duration(endurance testing).
Types of Performance Testing
- Load Testing - Load testing a type of testing that deals with measuring the performance of the application under expected load. Stress Testing - Stress testing deals with finding the break-point of the application by subjecting application to much higher load than expected.
- Endurance Testing - Endurance testing is done to check the application performance on subjecting it to continuous load for a long durations.
- Spike Testing - Spike testing is a type of performance testing in which we analyze the behavior of the application with sudden increase in load.
- Volume Testing - Volume testing is a type of testing which involves testing application with high volume of data like - files, large number of records in database etc.
For details about the different performance testing types along with examples, check our tutorial - Different types of performance testing.