With the increasing shift from mobile websites to mobile apps, the Mobile App Automation is gaining fast popularity. Android OS alone has over 60% of the market share. In this post we will see different types of android App Automation tools.
Android App Automation Tools
- Appium is open source tool for automating mobile, native and hybrid applications on both android and ios.
- It supports scripting in languages - Java, Ruby, C#, Python etc.
- It is cross-platform which enables code reuse across android and ios test suites.
- Download Link - Appium Official Site.
- Robotium is an open source tool for automating UI tests for android applications.
- It supports scripting in Java only.
- It allows automation of both native and hybrid android applications.
- Download Link - RobotiumTech Github.
- Selendroid is an open source test mobile automation tool for automating android native, hybrid as well as mobile websites.
- It supports Java language only for scripting.
- It has a built-in element inspector that aids in faster script development.
- Download Link - Selendroid Github.
- Ranorex is a paid tool for automating android, ios as well as windows applications.
- It has record and playback features.
- It provides drag and drop as well as programming using C# and VB scripts. So, both programmers and non-programmers can use it for scripting.
- Download Link - You can download the trial version from Ranorex website.
- Calabash is free open source tool provided by Xamarin.
- It is used for automating both android and ios applications.
- It can be integrated with Cucumber to provide test cases in Given-When-Then format.
- Although cucumber is advised for integrating with Calabash but it supports automation in any Ruby based framework.
- Download Link - Calabash website.
- MonkeyRunner is a free android app automation tool that comes with android SDK.
- Its scripts are created in Jython - python integrated in Java.
- It provides three classes-monkey device, monkey image and monkey monkey runner which are used for connecting with device/emulator; installation/uninstallation of app, sending keystrokes and screen capture/comparision etc.
- Roboelectric is a unit test framework for android applications.
- It is based on JUnit testing framework.
- It requires an IDE - Android studio or Eclipse.
- Download Link - Build using Gradle or maven here Roboelectric website.
- UIAutomator comes with android SDK for automating UI tests for android.
- It allows test cases to run on real android devices.
- Being a part of android studio, it supports scripting in Java only.
9. Scirocco Webdriver-
- Scirocco Webdriver is an open source android app automation tool provided by Sonix.
- It works with eclipse IDE.
- It provides test reports with screenshots.
- Download Link - Scirocco Webdriver Github.
- EggPlant is a paid tool for automating android, ios, windows phone and BlackBerry applications.
- It uses image-based approach for UI automation.
- A single script created in eggPlant can be used for different mobile devices.
- Download Link - Download the free trial from TestPlant website.