What is Test Strategy?
A Test Strategy is a high-level document describing the way testing will be carried out. It is presented by the project manager to all the stakeholders in the testing process. It can have a scope of an entire organization or a particular project.
Test Strategy Approaches
The the different apporaches to test strategy are-
- Analytical Approach - Based on the risk analysis
- Model-based Approach - Based on the various statistical models
- Consultative Approach - Based on the consultation with technology or domain experts
- Methodical Approach - Based on the experience
- Heuristic Approach - Based on the exploratory techniques
- Standard-compliant Approach - Based on the industry standards and processes
Test Strategy Document Template
A test strategy document can contain the following fields-
- Test Strategy Id - An identifier of the test strategy document and its various versions.
- Introduction - A brief introduction to the purpose and scope of the document.
- Standards to use - The different standards or set of guidelines to be followed.
- Risks and Mitigations - The different risks associated with in testing and their mitigation strategies.
- Entry Critieria - The set of pre-requisite that must be performed before testing can start.
- Exit Critieria - The criteria defining when the testing can be stopped.
- Test design techniques - The test design techniques to be used like - equivalence partitioning, boundary value
- Test environment - The test environment specifications.
- Configuration management of testware - Specification of the right version of testware for testing.
- Test process improvement - The apporaches to use for improving the test process.
- Approvals - The persons approving the test strategy document.